Tuesday, January 27, 2009

White Chocolate Craisin Cookies


I can imagine about 10 million years ago the caveman who drug his deflated ego back into the cave having just realized that someone else invented the same exact unique discovery--the wheel.  I feel his pain.  Snicker doodles, Chocolate Crinkles, Chocolate Chip, just a few of my favorite cookies.  With Kendra being on Weight Watchers and not exactly having these cookies on her meal plan I was searching for an alternative cookie.  I knew that oatmeal cookies were 'better" for her than the other choices, but the thought of putting a raisin in my mouth just...just...ewww.  Not a fan of the raisin.  We had dried cranberries in the pantry and some white chocolate chips (I'm still developing a chocolate white chocolate chip cookie) so I just threw those babies in and whiffenpoof!  We discovered our favorite cookie.  Good thing is one cookie is only 2 points.  How cool is that?

These cookies are sweet, buttery, tangy, chewy all the things that make a cookie delicious in my book.  The cookie begins with my basic oatmeal cookie recipe, minus the cinnamon because my sweet wife doesn't like cinnamon (I know who doesn't like cinnamon?).  I think if you try these cookies you'll fall in love with them like we did.  I've seen this recipe on the Internet where others take the credit for its origin and just think to myself, "hey, that's my cookie!  I created it!"

1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 cups flour
1 heaping teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups Instant Oatmeal
2 cups dried cranberries (I just get a "regular" bag and dump it in)
2 cups white chocolate chips (I insist on Ghiradelli white chocolate chips)

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment add butter and sugars.  Mix on medium high until fluffy, about 5 minutes.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Add eggs one at a time, waiting until the egg is mixed completely. Pour in vanilla and milk, mix to combine.  Add flour, baking soda, and salt.  Add oatmeal, chips, and cranberries.  

Using a spring loaded scoop, drop by rounded spoonfuls onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 10-14 minutes until just turning lightly browned.  Allow to cool in pan for 1-2 minutes then removed to a cooling rack.

I think I baked my cookies for 13 minutes.  We like soft chewy cookies, not hard and crispy.  They are so good.

Make sure you have plenty of milk on hand!!!

No comments: