Friday, September 12, 2008

Buttermilk Cake

Welcome to my new place! I decided to begin a food blog, which is dedicated to just food and food related items. Over at Teensyandtheboys.blogspot.com I would occasionally post recipes and such, but then get back to my crazy stories. Here I can just relax and post food and talk about the thing I love to do the most.

This cake is one of my all time favorite cakes. It is super good for breakfast or lunch, or dinner, or snacks, or after a snack, or before bed, or when--do you get the picture. I love cake and like my cakes to be very tender, not dry, and have subtle flavors. This one meets all of the desired tastes that make my tongue so happy. An added bonus is how incredibly easy it is to make.

One of the key ingredients in this is buttermilk. I usually don't have buttermilk on hand, but for this cake I bought a half gallon and still have some. Buttermilk is a great additive in place of milk or water. The next time you make mashed potatoes (tell me, please that you do not buy frozen, or boxed spuds) add buttermilk instead of cream or milk and you'll be amazed. If you do not have buttermilk you can use one tablespoon of vinegar emptied into a 1-cup measure, then add milk to the one cup mark and let sit for five minutes. The vinegar acidulates the milk and thickens it like buttermilk.

Buttermilk cake:
  • 1 (18.25-oz.) package white cake mix
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 5 large eggs
  • 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • Shortening
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat first 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes or until thoroughly blended; add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.

2. Stir together brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.

3. Spray your Bundt pan with cooking spray which contains flour. Set aside.

4. Spoon one-third of batter into prepared pan; sprinkle brown sugar mixture evenly over batter. Top with remaining batter.

5. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack, and cool 20-25 minutes. Drizzle Buttermilk-Vanilla Glaze over slightly warm cake.

Buttermilk Vanilla Glaze:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 to 2 Tbsp. buttermilk
Stir together first 3 ingredients and 1 Tbsp. buttermilk until smooth, adding additional 1 Tbsp. buttermilk, if necessary, for desired consistency. I like it to be thick, if you prefer it thinner...you may do so (Simon says)

This cake is adapted from a Southern living recipe I found which they adapted from a recipe they found. There's love all around this place.

I hope you make this cake it is so good. I would imagine that you could add chopped pecans to the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture and it would be really good. I'm not such a big nut lover though so I wouldn't add nuts. If you are then please do.

Love to hear how you liked it.

No comments: